We are open today Friday 5/26 until 5pm, so stop by for any of your Memorial Weekend entertainment needs! We will be closed Saturday 5/27-Monday 5/29 and will reopen at 10am on Tuesday 5/30. Because of the Memorial Day holiday, we will received our Plum Creek delivery on Wednesday instead of Tuesday.
Closed Memorial Day Weekend
Meinders Community Library will be closed Saturday, May 27th through Monday, May 29th in observance of Memorial Day. We will reopen at 10:00 am on Tuesday, May 30th.
There will be no PCLS delivery today, Tuesday March 14th at Meinders Community Library. We will receive our delivery on Wednesday and it will be processed by early afternoon.
Snowy Weather and Winter Reading
Due to the inclement weather, we have decided to cancel tonight’s Games & Grub Event.
With the snowy weather, it’s a good time to cozy up with a book. Our Winter Reading program goes through the end of March and we will have prizes ready for pick up on March 27th.
Meinders Library Closed 2/22 and 2/23
Meinders Community Library will be closed Wednesday, February 22 and Thursday, February 23 due to the inclement weather.
We will do our best to remain open through this week’s wintry weather, but if conditions seems questionable, give us a call before you make the trek at 507-825-6714. Because of the weather and the President’s Day holiday on Monday, we will likely not get Plum Creek delivery until Friday. If we do need to close, we will share on our blog, Facebook page, KLOH radio, and the city of Pipestone.
Library Closed for President’s Day
Meinders Community Library will be closed next Monday, February 20th in observance of President’s Day.
Library Closed Monday 1/16
Meinders Community Library will be closed Monday, January 16th in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Does your student have overdue library books? We can help.
It has come to our attention that one of the unintended consequences of the library dissolution is the receipt of overdue notices on student-checked-out library books that may have already been returned to the Pipestone school library.
Please do not ignore these notices or assume that they will go away. They will not, in large part because there are now two libraries instead of one, each operating on a different catalog system. Both the District and the public library need your help to clear up your student accounts and make those pesky emails go away.
In a nutshell, both the school and public library (then a combined entity) used the same catalog system (contracted through Plum Creek).
Sometime before the end of December 2022, your student checked out their books on this shared system with their public library card.
When the agreement between the city and school ended, the PCLS catalog system remained with the public library. The school board opted not to contract with Plum Creek for catalog and delivery services, thus ending their access to the system and all the accounts on it.
This divided catalog system is likely the reason you are receiving overdue notices on books that may have been returned to the school.
Even though your student may have checked out a District-owned book and returned it to the school library, it will continue to show up as still checked out on their public library card as the public library (and the PCLS catalog) has no way of knowing that the book was returned. Because the school no longer shares a space and a catalog system with us, books returned to the school are not getting checked in through the PCLS catalog system.
So, what do you do?
- If you receive an overdue notice and your child returned their book to the school, please call the public library.
- If that book belonged to the school, we can remove the item from your student’s account.
- If the returned book belongs to the public library or any other library in the Plum Creek System, we will need to wait for that book to be returned to the public library so we can check it in. This would be a good time to touch base with the school library to confirm whether the book is there or not and to make plans on how to get it to the public library.
- If you are uncertain about who owns a library book currently checked out to your student, please call or stop by the public library. We can check your student’s account and help you figure out the best way to get the book to its home library.
- If all else fails, return any library book with a Meinders Public Library barcode to the public library. We will check it in, clear the account, and get the book to it’s rightful owner.
Please share this message widely with other parents. It will make everyone’s lives (and your inbox anxiety) run a little more smoothly!
We Proudly Support the ArrowBots
Join us today at 11am at the library as we host the First Robotics kickoff. Come out and support these great kids from Pipestone Area School!