|Meinders Community Library Board Policy||404|
|Policy: Patron Code of Conduct||Originally Adopted||Next Review|
|Current Version Adopted||November 1, 2017||6/2014||November 2021|
Purpose: To foster a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment for all employees, volunteers, and users of the Library’s resources, materials, and facilities; particularly when balancing the needs of multiple users for multiple purposes at any given time. Misconduct or violations of any Library Policy are not acceptable and may result in law enforcement involvement as necessary.
Section 1: Patron Expectations
To establish an environment that protects the rights, privileges, and enjoyment of all individuals using the library, patrons are expected to:
- Follow policies as set forth by the Library Board and enforced by Library Staff.
- Behave respectfully and courteously to all individuals within the Library, regardless of whom they are or what their purpose is within the Library.
- Provide proper supervision of any minors or vulnerable individuals in their care.
- Dress appropriately in clean clothes, including shirt and shoes.
- Treat the facility with care by cleaning up after themselves, using furniture as it is intended, respecting the space of others, and using the rest rooms appropriately.
- Cooperate with Staff, and if necessary, allow belongings to be searched in order to prevent unauthorized removal of Library equipment and materials.
As such, patrons may not:
- Interfere with another person’s use of the library or Staff’s performance of duties.
- Engage in disorderly conduct, harassment, bullying, or threatening behaviors (physically or verbally).
- Solicit, petition, canvass or distribute materials without prior approval from Staff.
- Bring pets inside unless they are assisting a patron with a disability or are part of a program.
- Disrupt others via loud talking, shouting, audible use of audio equipment, audible cell phone ring tones and/or extended cell phone conversations, using profanity, shoving, running, throwing things, etc.
- Theft, vandalism, or mutilation of Library property.
- Engage in sexual activity of any kind, sexual harassment or indecent exposure.
- Bring any dangerous weapons into the Library, unless otherwise permitted by law.
- Smoke, drink, or consume any tobacco, alcohol, or illegal substances on the premises.
Section 2: Loss of Library Privilege
Whenever there is reasonable cause to believe an individual has committed acts that break Library Policy after a warning has been issued, he or she may be told to leave the Library for the remainder of the day. Any subsequent violations may result in the loss of library Privileges.