Now more than ever, we need to find ways to stay connected with our community. No one should feel alone or without the information, support, and help they need.
Each Wednesday during the month of May, I will highlight a book that is available for check out at the library. Thanks to a generous donation, we were able to add 8 new titles that feature mental health.
Depression, Anxiety, and Other Things We Don’t Want to Talk About by Ryan Casey Waller.
The following excerpt is from Amazon.com. You can click this link to find this title in our online catalog.
Mental illness loves to tell lies. One of those lies is that you should be able to manage what you’re struggling with all by yourself. In Depression, Anxiety, and Other Things We Don’t Talk About, pastor and psychotherapist Ryan Casey Waller reminds us that we don’t have to suffer alone.
Mental health issues aren’t a symptom of a spiritual failing or insufficient faith. In fact, suffering is the very thing our Savior seeks to heal as he leads us toward restoration. And yet, as Waller has experienced firsthand, the battle can be lonely and discouraging–but it doesn’t have to be.
Combining practical theology, clinical insights, and deep empathy, Waller offers a rare mix of companionship and truth, inviting us to:
- Have shame-free conversations about mental health
- Discover why self-knowledge is so important to a deep relationship with God
- Understand the intersection of biology, psychology, and spirituality
- Explore varying avenues of healing in community, therapy, and medication
- Be equipped to support loved ones while practicing self-care
Waller bridges the gap between the spiritual and the psychological in this empathetic, imminently helpful guidebook, reminding us all that we are not alone. Hope starts now.
Here are a few other titles that are part of our mental health collection and available for check out!
- Nobody’s Normal: How Culture Created the Stigma of Mental Illness – Roy Richard Grinker
- You’re Not Alone: The Only Book You’ll Ever Need to Overcome Anxiety and Depression – Zachary David Westerbeck
- Rewire Your Anxious Brain: How to Use the Neuroscience of Fear to End Anxiety, Panic & Worry – Catherine M. Pittman, PhD and Elizabeth M. Karle, MLIS
Stay happy, healthy, and safe! ~Sally~